Were You Involved In A Car Accident? Wondering If Your Car Seat Needs to be Replaced?
Safe Kids Grand Forks wants to remind you if your car seat has been involved in a crash, there are guidelines for replacing your seat so that your child can ride safely in the future.
In the past, the recommendation was for car seats to be replaced any time they were involved in a crash, no matter how minor or severe. Currently, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests that car seats do not need to be replaced if they were involved ONLY in a MINOR crash. NHTSA defines a minor crash as one in which ALL of the following apply:
• A visual inspection of the child safety seat, including inspection under any easily movable seat padding, does not reveal any cracks or deformation that might have been caused by the crash.
• The vehicle with the child safety seat installed was capable of being driven from the scene of the crash.
• The vehicle door nearest the child safety seat was undamaged.
• There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants; and
• The air bags (if any) did not deploy.
If your car seat needs replacement, even if the car seat wasn’t being used at the time of the crash, it should be replaced as soon as possible following the crash. It is recommended that seat belts in use during the crash also be replaced. This can be done at a car dealership. Most insurance companies will cover the cost of a new seat and the replacement of the seat belts.
If you have questions or need verification for your insurance company, please feel free to contact Safe Kids Grand Forks at 701-780-1489.
For information about car seats and child passenger safety, contact Safe Kids Grand Forks at firstname.lastname@example.org. Altru Health System is proud to serve as the lead agency for Safe Kids Grand Forks.