The busy holidays make for great times spent with family and loved ones. Many meals will be shared and children enjoy helping with the preparation of those meals.
Here are some cooking safety tips to remember to keep your holidays happy:
- Teach your children to stay a safe distance from hot stoves and appliances.
- Avoid carrying or holding a child while cooking on the stove.
- Kids love to reach so use the back burner of your stove. Turn pot handles away from the edge.
- Remind yourself to check on food frequently by using a timer, especially when baking or simmering.
- Check to make sure appliance cords are coiled and away from counter edges. Take an extra second to make sure hot foods are away from the edge of your counters as well.
- Stay close when you are using a grill or turkey fryer.
- Wear short, close-fitting or tightly-rolled sleeves when cooking.
- Take a minute to test your smoke alarms.
- Teach your kids how to cook safely.
For more information about cooking safety, contact Safe Kids Grand Forks at email@example.com. Altru Health System is proud to serve as the lead agency for Safe Kids Grand Forks.